The Music in Me

Some contemporary poetry for my loud quarantine thoughts.


white clouds

There’s a band playing behind me when I walk.
I’m dancing and stepping and there’s fanfare all around,
Life is cheering me on.
Days and nights filled with bursts of joy, 
I am invincible.

Riding the high of my own positivity comes and goes as quickly as the song ends. 
It’s almost hysterical, 
I feel it coming up in my throat, a giddy sense of expectation.
I am happy, even just for the time being. 

I bounce and waltz and skip, I dance through a maze of words and thoughts and fears
Trying to hold onto the music that so fleetingly keeps me off the ground.
When I come back down I think, 
Was the air keeping my feet kicking steadier than the firm ground beneath my feet? 

Chained to my own private reality,
A crescendo of surface tension,
Pressure building and building and finally breaking.
The song ends. 
Each step takes a thought, 
And each thought takes a breath,
And each breath takes a part of me. 

I have music cheering me on, 
That way I can’t hear how the voice in my head is telling me 
I am not as invincible
As I pretend to be. 

Comments

Popular Posts